Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Copying/migrating SQL 7 Databases over to SQL 2005

Hi,
I've been trying to work out how to copy 2 small databases from an old
SQL7 server to a new 2005 server. I'll admit straight away that i'm
totally new to the world of SQL, so i'm stuggling a little.
I used the "backup database" function and saved to file on the old
server. I then copied them over to the test server and tried to
"restore" each of them.
It errors for both when I do this. It appears to be because on the
SQL7 server, each database sits on a F: partition, and i have setup
the test server using just a C: drive.
Thanks for reading!nade
Take a look at WITH MOVE option of RESTORE command in the BOL
"nade" <nadeboy@.gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1172054201.292745.29510@.a75g2000cwd.googlegroups.com...
> Hi,
> I've been trying to work out how to copy 2 small databases from an old
> SQL7 server to a new 2005 server. I'll admit straight away that i'm
> totally new to the world of SQL, so i'm stuggling a little.
> I used the "backup database" function and saved to file on the old
> server. I then copied them over to the test server and tried to
> "restore" each of them.
> It errors for both when I do this. It appears to be because on the
> SQL7 server, each database sits on a F: partition, and i have setup
> the test server using just a C: drive.
> Thanks for reading!
>

No comments:

Post a Comment