Sunday, March 25, 2012

Copying users to new server

I'm new to SQL server and am installing a new server that I will be copying
from a old server to new. I've restored the databases but am trying to cop
y
over the users and security.
Is there a simple way to copy over the users and security to the new server?> I'm new to SQL server and am installing a new server that I will be
copying
> from a old server to new. I've restored the databases but am trying to
copy
> over the users and security.
> Is there a simple way to copy over the users and security to the new
server?
Yes, script them. In EM, right-click on your database, select All Tasks -
Generate SQL Script; on the Options tab, select
Script database users and database roles and
Script object-level permissions.
Generate the script and execute it in your new db.
BTW, I suppose you have the same logins.
Dejan Sarka, SQL Server MVP
Associate Mentor
www.SolidQualityLearning.com|||Dejan
I think although he/she has the same logins moving users to the new server
may cause the problem due to the different SID of the logins.
I'd go with two stored procedures provided by Microsoft to move logins.
"Dejan Sarka" <dejan_please_reply_to_newsgroups.sarka@.avtenta.si> wrote in
message news:eeySs4qLFHA.2988@.TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> copying
> copy
> server?
> Yes, script them. In EM, right-click on your database, select All Tasks -
> Generate SQL Script; on the Options tab, select
> Script database users and database roles and
> Script object-level permissions.
> Generate the script and execute it in your new db.
> BTW, I suppose you have the same logins.
> --
> Dejan Sarka, SQL Server MVP
> Associate Mentor
> www.SolidQualityLearning.com
>|||http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...kb;en-us;246133
"kcsheff" wrote:
[vbcol=seagreen]
> I'm new to SQL server and am installing a new server that I will be copyin
g
> from a old server to new. I've restored the databases but am trying to c
opy
> over the users and security.
> Is there a simple way to copy over the users and security to the new server?[/vbco
l]

No comments:

Post a Comment